Surfshark is the cheapest VPN among the VPNs we have tested. However, does it provide a quality service regardless of its affordable pricing? That’s the question that many of my readers have been asking. Today, we shall set the record straight in this Surfshark review.
Before writing this review, I tested Surfshark VPN to determine whether it’s excellent for Netflix as they claim, anonymous browsing, and torrenting. I’ve also looked at the VPN’s security protocols, the number of connections, device compatibility, server coverage, and customer support.
In a hurry, here are the VPNs most outstanding features:
- Surfshark works with Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and many more streaming services
- It is safe to use, and embraces the highest levels of encryption, and protects against all leaks
- Has a simple and intuitive interface
- Good consistent speed
- Allows torrenting
- Surfshark offers 30-day money-back guarantee
- 24/7 live chat is also available
Let’s tackle the Surfshark features one at a time.
1. Interface and Ease of use
Surfshark has an easy to use interface. Its native apps and browser extensions are intuitive and feature a minimal interface that makes it easy to navigate. The Surfshark installation process is straight forward. It provides apps download for various platforms s that if you grant it access, it automatically configures your devices. You can easily manage the following Surfshark features:
- CleanWeb – a smart feature that helps you to block ads and malicious sites on the web
- whiteLister-allows you to choose which websites and apps can connect via the VPN tunnel while the rest connect through your ISP.
- HackLock-provides you with a real–time alert when your passwords and emails are about to be hacked.
- BlindSearch- a tool that allows you to search the internet anonymously without ads, no history, no logs, no trackers
2. Device compatibility
Surfshark is compatible with a wide range of devices including:
- Smart TVs
3. How many Simultaneous Devices Does Surfshark allow?
Surfshark allows unlimited device connection with a single subscription. Hence, you can use Surfshark on all your family devices.
4. Pricing and Plans-does Surfshark eat other VPN deals alive?
Yes, it does. Check out the following comparatives.
- ExpressVPN allows concurrent connection up to 5 devices, provides 24/7 support, Netflix libraries, but does not have an Adblocker. Best Price $6.67/month.
- NordVPN allows 6 concurrent device connections and provides 24/7 support, 7 Netflix libraries, Adblocker. Best Price $3.22/month.
- CyberGhost allows connection up to 7 devices at once, has 24/7 support, 4 Netflix libraries, Adblocker. Best Price $2.75
- Surfshark allows unlimited device connection with a single subscription, provides 24/7 support, 15 Netflix libraries, and goes for only $1.99/month.
Looking at the above comparatives, Surfshark has the best VPN deal.
5. Server coverage: how many servers does SurfShark have?
Surfshark offers its users 1700 servers in 63+ countries. Though its server list is not as massive as some of the other premium services like Nord, CyberGhost, and ExpressVPN, I like that its servers provide high speeds, which is excellent for streaming. Also, it offers private DNS on each of its servers, strictly no-logs policy, and all servers are P2P friendly.
6. Surfshark Security Protocols
Surfshark protects the user’s data with robust AES 256-bit encryption, which is military-grade and unbreakable. It offers various security protocols for secure internet connection including:
- IKEv2-excellent on mobile OS
- OpenVPN-Open source and reliable
- Shadowsocks-The best choice for bypassing censorship in restrictive countries
But what is VPN Protocols?
A VPN protocol is a technology used by VPNs to send your packets of data through the internet safely. However, the protocols differ in terms of speed their speed, and security. I like that Surfshark is not using unsecure protocols like PPTP and L2TP.
Camouflage mode or obfuscation is a valuable technology that disguises your VPN traffic to look normal and hence restrictive firewalls. It’s a savior more so if you reside in a country where the government blocks standard VPN ports. Many of our readers ask whether their traffic is secure when using the camouflage mode. Yes, your traffic is still protected because the obfuscation mode does not decrypt your connection but rather makes it appear as ordinary https traffic and evade content filtering and blocking.
DNS and IPv6 leak protection
Surfshark prevents DNS leaks. When you connect to the internet using Surfshark, its apps block all the DNS requests that your device is making and routes them through a safe encrypted tunnel. Surfshark provides you faster DNS servers, no activity or connection logs, and military-grade end-to-end encryption for all traffic between your devices and the DNS servers.
7. Speed and speed test
If you’ve used a VPN before, you’ll agree that fast and reliable connections are crucial to your overall browsing experience. If your VPN is slow, you won’t be able to stream, torrent, or even browse it. In my test, Surfshark provided consistent speeds and a reliable connection. Overall, it had a small dip in speeds and kept decreasing as I connected to distant servers from my physical location. At no time did I lose connections or experience speed drops during my test.
I was able to stream in HD quality without buffering, and I had an overall good experience with other tasks like online gaming and torrenting. Hence, the VPN will provide you with a good experience for all your online tasks.
8. Does it Work with Netflix?
Netflix is the leading online streaming platform with a vast library of movies and TV shows. However, not all countries have the same share. Some like the USA enjoys an extensive catalog while others like Kenya in Africa get a small percentage of the action. That’s why many VPN users want a VPN that can help them to unblock streaming services, including Netflix.
Surfshark not only works with Netflix but will provide you with 15 Netflix libraries, including Netflix USA. It also works with other leading streaming services, including BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Disney+, Crunchyroll, ITV Hub, and many others.
9. Does it allow Torrenting?
Surfshark allows torrenting on all its servers. Hence with 1700 servers in more than 69 countries, you will be able to torrent and download files from worldwide regions. All its servers are optimized for fast torrenting. You also get all the Surfshark security features to protect and keep you anonymous while you torrent. Your ISP will not see your online activities, and which keeps you safe. Further, it won’t throttle your network traffic- something they often do if a user consumes lots of bandwidth as happens while during torrenting and gaming.
10. Does Surfshark work in China?
The Chinese government blocks many websites, including the famous once, like Facebook, YouTube, and even major news outlets. Many have since given up the fight. Hence, if you are traveling to China, you better arm yourself with a VPN that has what it takes to bypass the notorious Great Firewall of China. In my tests for China, I found 10 websites that will grant you internet freedom in mainland China. I found Surfshark to be working in China correctly.
Surfshark has 1700 servers in more than 63 countries worldwide, including regions near China. For a good experience, choose servers from Taiwan, HongKong, Vietnam, or Singapore. You’ll appreciate its powerful NoBorders Mode specifically designed to evade notorious geoblocks.
11. Is Surfshark Good for Gaming?
You can game without having to fear about speed drops, and lags. Surfshark will allow you to game in full privacy and security. It will hide your IP address in Discord and chats. You will access games and features without restrictions and have complete protection against DDOS attacks.
In short, Surfshark will provide you impressive speeds for gaming, prevent ISP throttling, and allow you to buy games for less by spoofing your location to purchase games from the country with the cheapest deals.
13. Internet Kill Switch
In case your VPN connection drops unexpectedly, Surfshark’s inbuilt kill switch will automatically shut down your unprotected internet connection to safeguard your privacy. The kill switch is invaluable. It protects your sensitive data when your VPN connection drops, guards your identity against hackers and snoops and ensures your internet downloads are invisible to your ISP.
14. Customer Support?
Should you get stuck while using Surfshark, there’s a Help section on its website with valuable installation tutorials, troubleshooting guides, and FAQs. Secondly, you can also contact them directly through 24/7 live chat support, or via a ticket request system. I contacted the Surfshark customer support via live chat, and I can say I found them to be responsive, knowledgeable, and helpful.
The Bottom Line
I found Surfshark to be fast, reliable, and excellent for streaming, and torrenting. The VPN supports all the major platforms, and offers unlimited simultaneous connections, bringing value to its users, also, like it’s pricing of $1.99/month, which makes it among the cheapest VPNs in the market.
Here’s a summary of its best features:
- 1700+ servers in 61 countries
- Offers browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox
- Strong encryption
- Accepts Bitcoin and provides a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Unlimited connections
- Supports P2P
- 24/7 live chat support